Local school gets share of £2billion Government fund
MP lobbied Ministers after school visit last year
Local secondary Gunnersbury Catholic School is to receive a share of a £2 billion Department for Education fund for improving and refurbishing school buildings, it was announced on Monday.
The fund, called the ‘Priority School Building Programme’ (PSBP) is the first part of a £6 billion investment in the school estate by the Government and is designed to make sure children all across the country can enjoy safe, good quality schools fit for learning. It is understood that the money will be used to refurbish the dilapidated sports hall. Gunnersbury Catholic School bid for the funding in July last year.
Local MP Mary Macleod, who spoke to the Secretary of State, Nicky Morgan, at a one-to-one meeting last year about the bid, was delighted to hear the news. She visited the school in the autumn and wrote to the Secretary of State immediately after to support the school. She said:
“When I visited the school in late October, It was clear that it was an outstanding place to learn with a great team behind it. I was happy to support Mr Burke’s bid for funding to rebuild the sports hall and PE accommodation. I know how important sport is to the school and this funding will really help to support their already growing sport programmes and opportunities.”
Headteacher of Gunnersbury Catholic School, Mr Kevin Burke, said:
“We are delighted to have secured funding from the Department of Education to replace our current Sports Hall and PE accommodation. At Gunnersbury Catholic School sport and physical activity have always been viewed as integral to a quality education. The proposed developments will enable the continued provision of outstanding sporting opportunities, education and enjoyment to our current and future students.”